J S I N S

Friday, November 16, 2007

Oh the weather outside is frightful but the knitting's so delightful...

Well, we've gotten our first snow of the season here in the 'burgh. It is truly prime knitting season now. What is better on a cold, snowy day than sitting with a cozy knit on your lap? (O.K. perhaps sitting on the beach with a mojito and a knitting a cute little summer top but I've got to make due with what I've got.) I actually really like fall and winter. My wardrobe is definitely more suited to it as I love sweaters and boots and velvet. I'm much more blase about spring and summer clothes. I'm ready to sit in front of the fireplace with a stack of movies and my knitting until spring.

This post marks the pictural debut of my Not So Montego Bay Scarf. Generally, I'm not a big fan of knitting scarfs but the lure of beautiful Handmaiden lace-weight yarn overcame me. This version is Not So Montego Bay because I am knitting it with Handmaiden Camelspin, which, if you haven't tried it, feels amazing, rather than Sea Silk. I'd have never thought that camels were so soft. I'm knitting this version in the Lily Pond colorway and modified the pattern by decreasing 5 lace repeats to accommodate for difference in yardage between Camelspin and Sea Silk. I also have a hank of Sea Silk in my stash in the Paris colorway that is destined to become a Montego Bay Scarf. I'm enjoying the mindless nature of this pattern at the moment. I don't think it will be my quickest knit though because I can also see myself becoming bored with the mindlessness of it as well.

My knitting goals for this weekend are to finish up Juliet so that I can cast on for the Elizabeth Bennet Cabled Cardigan from Fitted Knits to take with me to my parents' house to knit over Thanksgiving. I will be knitting the EB Cardy using the recommended Cloud 9 in a Salmon color that I ordered last winter when it was on sale at WEBS.

And in other exciting news, THERE IS A LYS OPENING LESS THAN A MILE FROM MY HOUSE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (jsins checking account screams in agony and her atm card tries to run away.) I can't wait to check it out. I am going to head over there after work today. The LYS is called Natural Stitches and it's located in the Village of East Side in East Liberty at 6401 Penn Avenue. (Pittsburgh, PA 15206 in case anyone wants to get directions to the store online.) If you're in the 'burgh, you should stop by and check it out.

Have a great weekend everyone and happy knitting!!!!

No comments: