Friday, August 31, 2007
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
This is a toss up between stitch markers and a measuring tape. I don't think I could live without either of those.
2. If you're heading on vacation, do you take knitting with you? If so, how much and what type of project?
Yes! It wouldn't be a vacation if I couldn't squeeze in any knitting time. The amount and type of project depends on the type of trip. If I am going to the beach or running around alot, I would take portable projects like socks. If it's a more leisurely trip, I would probably take a larger project like a sweater. In all honesty, it really comes down to what I want to work on most at the time.
3. Where have you travelled to that you'd consider your favorite spot?
I went to Madrid a couple of years ago and LOVED Spain. I haven't gotten to do as much travel as I'd like to and would like to start traveling more, particularly more international travel.
4. What is your favorite knitting book at the moment? Do you own it?
Hmm... this is difficult because I bounce around alot depending upon what I am in the mood to knit. I would have to say that my favorite book at the moment is Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel and, yes, I own it.
5. Do you listen to podcasts? Which is your favorite(s)?
I've never listened to any podcasts.
6. If you could only knit with 1 color for the rest of your life, what color would that be?
I've been very into green lately but, overall, I am a red girl through and through, so I would have to say Red (blue reds, not orange reds.)
7. If you were far into a project and then noticed a mistake near the beginning what would you do?
It depends on how horrible the mistake was. If it was unfixable and ruined the project, I would frog it and start over. If it was small and could be fixed or hidden, I would probably keep going.
8. Where is the most unsual spot you've ever knit?
Most of my knitting has been done in fairly usual spots - home, at the pool, on an airplane, in the movie theater, in the park, etc. I guess the most unusual place that I have ever knit was at a dragon boat race.
Bold = have already tried this
Italicized = Plan to try this
Unemphasized = Have no desire to try this
• Garter stitch
• Knitting with metal wire
• Stockinette stitch
• Socks: top-down
• Socks: toe-up (I'm planning to knit my next pair of socks toe-up.)
• Knitting with camel yarn
• Mittens: Cuff-up
• Mittens: Tip-down
• Knitting with silk
• Moebius band knitting
• Participating in a KAL
• Drop stitch patterns
• Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
• Slip stitch patterns
• Knitting with banana fiber yarn
• Domino knitting (I don't know what this is so I can't say one way or the other.)
• Twisted stitch patterns
• Knitting with bamboo yarn
• Two end knitting
• Charity knitting
• Knitting with soy yarn
• Toy/doll clothing (I have Nicky Epstein's Knits for Barbie Doll and have a number of projects that I want to knit from it.)
• Knitting with circular needles
• Baby items
• Knitting with your own handspun
• Graffiti knitting
• Continental knitting
• Designing knitted garments
• Cable stitch patterns
• Lace patterns
• Publishing a knitting book (Who knows?)
• Teaching a child to knit
• American/English knitting
• Knitting to make money
• Knitting with alpaca (Yarn and project are waiting to go. I will be using alpaca to knit Ms. Marigold.)
• Fair Isle knitting
• Norwegian knitting
• Dying with plant colors
• Knitting items for a wedding
• Household items
• Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on two circulars
• Olympic knitting
• Knitting with someone else’s handspun yarn
• Knitting with dpns
• Holiday-related knitting
• Teaching a male how to knit
• Knitting for a living
• Knitting with cotton
• Knitting smocking
• Dying yarn
• Steeks (I have done so in a controlled class environment but not in a personal project yet.)
• Knitting art
• Knitting with wool
• Textured knitting
• Kitchener BO
• Knitting with beads
• Swatching (Are there any knitters out there who have never swatched?)
• Long Tail CO
• Knitting and purling backwards
• Machine knitting
• Knitting with self patterning/self striping/variegating yarn
• Stuffed toys
• Knitting with cashmere
• Knitting with synthetic yarn
• Writing a pattern
• Knitting with linen
• Knitting for preemies
• Tubular CO
• Freeform knitting
• Short rows
• Cuffs/fingerless mitts/armwarmers
• Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine
• Knitting on a loom
• Thrummed knitting
• Knitting a gift
• Knitting for pets
• Knitting with dog/cat hair
• Hair accessories
• Knitting in public
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Friday, August 17, 2007
Knitting and cocktails, a brilliant combination!
In other news, I have cast on for Rusted Root. Yippee!!!! I am going to work diligently on this top so that I can wear within the next couple of weeks. I have also started a group on Ravelry for people who are knitting Zephyr Style projects,
If you are on Ravelry and get a chance, stop by and check it out.
Monday, August 13, 2007
|You Are a Night Person|
For you, there's nothing worse than having to get up and moving early.
In fact, you probably don't hit your peak until well after the sun has set.
So if your struggling to make it on a normal schedule, realize it's not your fault.
You just weren't meant to do anything during the day!
Friday, August 10, 2007
I've been terrible about taking pictures lately but will get around to replacing the batteries on my camera and take some next week.
I now have to finish my steeking class project, which must be done by Thursday for the class, Sydney's birthday present for next Sunday and the Monkey sock that I have on the needles that only needs the toe completed to be done before I cast on anything new.
Monday, August 6, 2007
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I really like wool years. I love merino and merino blends that incorporate mohair, angora, alpaca, silk, you name it. I also like cotton blends such as Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece and I’m currently knitting a One-Skein Wonder in a cotton silk blend that I’m really enjoying. I also love to try new fibers. I really like hand-dyed yarns as well.
The only yarns that I really don’t like are fun furs and crazy novelty yarns and super tough acrylics.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have the Knitpicks Options and Denise Interchangeable sets and keep them in their respective cases. I use a zip-up tapestry needle holder that was my great grandmother’s for straight needles and a small rubbermade tote for my circulars.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for about a year and a half. I learned from a book (Stitch and Bitch to be exact supplemented with Maggie Righetti’s Knitting in Plain English) and have been knitting away ever since. Since then, I have taken several classes at LYS to hone specific skills or to tackle projects and skills that I’m a bit leery of trying on my own. I would consider my skill level to be intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have a wish list at Amazon (Jennifer Lynn Sinfelt, firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like floral and clean scents. My two favorite floral scents are rose and lavender.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
My favorites are Swedish fish, sour patch kids, Ghiardelli chocolates and caramels.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I like to sew. I am planning to get back into it more this winter. I haven’t done much sewing lately. I am also interested in trying jewelry making and like to play around with refinishing furniture. I'd love to learn how to spin someday but that is far off in the horizon. I've got too much knitting to do right now to take up spinning as well.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My taste in music is eclectic. I am really into singer songwriters like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Aimee Mann and David Gray. I also love Motown and Reggae. Am really into older country singers like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson at the moment. I am also really interested in hearing new things.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love reds, greens, purple, pink, grey and black. I’m not a big yellow or orange person.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am a petless, urban singleton.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all of the above. I love to accessorize and we get some pretty cold winters here in the ‘burgh.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hmm… what don’t I like to knit? If I had to pick my favorite items, I would have to say sweaters or tops and socks at the moment but I also like to knit hats, household stuff, skirts, gloves/mittens and the list goes on and on, if it can be knit, I’d eventually like to try it.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of Monkey socks, a One Skein Wonder, a tessellating fish afghan, a color work/steeking project for a knitting class I am taking, a Cozy V-Neck Pullover with Deep Ribbing from Fitted Knits, Silk Sleeves from One Skein and a birthday present (can’t say what it is as the recipient sometimes checks out the blog.) I'm sure that there is probably something I am missing or that I will be adding on the list soon.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I LOVE TO RECEIVE HANDMADE GIFTS!!!!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I tend to knit most of my projects on circular needles. I am a Magic Loop sock knitter so I love extra long circular needles for that. I like all three and vary them depending on the project. I would love to get some plastic or bamboo 40 or 47 inch circulars in sock sizes (0, 1 or 2) for travel knitting. I am always afraid that my metal needles might be confiscated.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have both a yarn winder and a swift. I just recently got them to deal with my ever expanding stash that I would rather be knitting than winding. I love them and don't know how I ever lived without them.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO is about a year old. It’s a Ticuna vest that I only have to pick up and knit the arm bands and it’s finished. I will finish it by fall because I really want to wear it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas – I love to give and receive presents (hence my love of swaps) and spending time with family and friends. I love decorating the house. My roommate and I go crazy with a 10 foot tree and garland and decorations everywhere.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn, knitting patterns and books and knitting supplies? I can’t really think of anything else that I collect.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I would love to have the Barbara Walker Treasury books. I'd love the patterns for pretty much any of Wendy Bernard's adult tops, particulary the Somewhat Cowl and Flair patterns. I also love Cookie A. sock patterns and have all of the free ones online but haven’t gotten through knitting them all yet but also love the ones that she has for sale. As for needles, I’d like some non-metal socks needles, either dps or 40+ inch circulars for airplane knitting in any size from 0 to 2. Yarns - I love to try new yarns. If my swap partner is a spinner or dyer, I would love to get to work with their creations. I have a subscription to Interweave Knits. I am also thinking about subscribing to Vogue Knitting but haven't yet. I'd love to check out Rebecca magazine as I have read good things about it but have never seen one. I am really looking forward to getting to meet a new person and to swap fiber-related gifts. I can't wait to learn about new fiber-related stuff from my swap partner and will love everything that my swap partner sends. (I'm an ENFP Aries, we can't help but get excited and enthusiastic about everything. We're kind of the Tiggers of the personality/zodiac spectrum.)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I am taking a steeking class and want to learn to do intricate colorwork and intarsia. I want to learn how to knit socks from the toe up as I have only knitted them top down. I have yet to felt and want to learn how to do that and am looking forward to blocking out some time to spend with my copy of Victorian Lace Today and learning to knit lace.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter. My foot measurements are US size 8, 9 inches from heel to toe.
23. When is your birthday?
I’m an April Fools baby… April 1.
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I’m on Ravelry. My ID is jsins.
Friday, August 3, 2007
|Your Personality Is|
You are a passionate, caring, and unique person.
You are good at expressing yourself and sharing your ideals.
You are the most compassionate of all types and connect with others easily.
Your heart tends to rule you. You can't make decisions without considering feelings.
You seek out other empathetic people to befriend.
Truth and authenticity matters in your friendships.
In love, you give everything you have to relationships. You fall in love easily.
At work, you crave personal expression and meaning in your career.
With others, you communicate well. You can spend all night talking with someone.
As far as your looks go, you've likely taken the time to develop your own personal style.
On weekends, you like to be with others. Charity work is also a favorite pastime of yours.